Friday, December 5, 2014

Making Christmas Tree Ornaments with Children

Christmas tree decorations that you make, or the ones that have some sentimental meaning, are the best kinds, in my opinion. The handprint belongs to my son from when he was about five and the little house and gingerbread man are made from salt dough and painted with tempera. We made a bunch of the salt dough ornaments one year, but unfortunately not too many survive. When he was about three we hung sugar cookies on the tree until we discovered that he was eating all of them! I couldn't figure out at first how he was reaching some of the ones on the higher branches, but then I discovered that he pushed a little chair into the living room to use as a step stool. The star is actually made from paper by a friend of mine,and the bell was tied on the top of a Christmas present when I was a child.
I know, I know. These birds are not all that Christmasy, but I think that with a change of color they would be perfect for the tree. I cut the bird's body and wings from card stock. The little stamps I fashioned from textures like bubble wrap and corrugated cardboard. And I used an ink pad.

No comments:

Post a Comment