Thursday, April 3, 2014

Jewel Boxes

Glitter is always appealing for children. This is a simple little project where they can really layer on the sparkle. I had a bit of trouble finding a source for small boxes that would be sturdy enough to handle paint, glitter and glue for a reasonable price. I found these at Papermart. Unfortunately, 100 boxes is the minimum order. If you just need a small quantity, I've seen something comparable at my local craft store.

 

I applied a small amount of gold acrylic paint to the boxes to add a shiny patina using a small sponge that was barely damp. The tiles in the photo are from Home Depot and come in sheets. It's a reasonable way to purchase them versus buying mosaic tiles from a craft store. I just wish that Home Depot stocked some more vibrant colors. They have a lot of earth tones. The tiles are attached with white glue. The gold and turquoise strips have a peel off backing and come in 12 x 12 inch sheets. The small tubes of glitter glue were a good size for small hands, although I wish I knew of a way to make my own. I've tried Mod Podge and glitter, but it doesn't have the same impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment