Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Tulle Flowers

Tulle comes in such beautiful colors and is quite inexpensive and forgiving to work with. The school where I teach wanted a backdrop for their spring play about gardens. I had at least 20 yards of a shiny, white fabric and decided that making flowers with tulle and attaching them to the fabric would create dimension and be an unusual way to solve the problem. The children applied blue watercolor in plastic spray bottles to the fabric. I picked up tulle in half a dozen colors at my local Ace Hardware, of all places, for just $1.19 a yard. I cut the tulle into long skinny rectangles and pinched them together in the center for the petals. When I had five or six done I would tack them to the fabric with thread and needle. I cut out small circles in contrasting colors and bunched those together for the centers. The finished piece is about eight feet long and I was unable to get a good photograph to capture it in its entirety. You can get an idea of the scale by comparing the size of the flowers to the spool of thread and sewing scissors. I think they would be adorable in a little girl's room.

No comments:

Post a Comment